December 13, 2018 – Benu Networks Announces the Industry’s Only Next Generation Parental Control Solution Supported on Wi-Fi and Cellular Networks
Addresses Critical Obstacles to Provide Fail Proof, Secure Policy Enforcement Across All Devices and Networks
BILLERICA, MA – (BUSINESS WIRE) – December 13, 2018 – Benu Networks, a leading provider of innovative virtual network solutions that enable service providers to rapidly create and deliver next generation IP services, today announced it has the industry’s only genuine parental control solution available in today’s market. Unlike other vendors, Benu Networks’ tamper-proof parental control solution safeguards children by extending the parental control policies outside of the home – to any device and network that a child may access.
Currently, all other vendors only offer a partial parental control solution with various enablement constraints and significant limitations to the actual enforcement of the controls set by a parent. Most vendors provide parental control policies that can only be enforced on the home network, this leaves a child completely unprotected when accessing other networks and allows for complete unrestricted online access whenever that child is not at home. Other parental controls solutions are enabled by a mobile application loaded onto the child’s phone, however these applications can be tampered with and easily deleted or disabled from the phone. There are also parental control solutions that are only enabled when connected to a Wi-Fi network, which allows a child to access the cellular network to avoid any online restrictions.
Current statistics on the various online threats, such as cyber predators, cyber bullying, sexting, etc., which face today’s youth are extremely concerning:
• 42% percent of youth internet users had been exposed to online pornography. Of those, 66% reported that it was unwanted exposure. (Source: American Academy of Pediatrics)
• 77% of the targets for online predators were age 14 or older, and another 22% were users ages 10 to 13. (Source: Crimes against Children Research Center)
• 71% of teens admit to blocking parents with social media privacy settings, using private browsing, disabling parental controls, or having e-mail or social media accounts unknown to parents. (Source: TruResearch)
• Over 50% of adolescents and teens have been bullied online, and about the same number have engaged in cyber bullying. (Source: i-SAFE Foundation)
Trying to protect children with the typical incomplete parental control solution is extremely problematic for parents since it provides a false sense of security, when in reality, the level of unprotected exposure is much greater than the level of overall protection.
Benu Networks’ parental control solution ensures that the security policies assigned by a parent to a child are enforced across all devices and networks – wherever and whenever that child is online. Benu Networks’ solution is also tamper proof since it is not enabled by a mobile application downloaded to a child’s phone. Utilizing Benu Networks’ intuitive dashboard, parents can easily administer the appropriate settings specific to each child.
The key features within Benu Networks’ parental control solution include:
• Web portal and mobile application: Provides a parental dashboard to manage policy settings of access to websites and content, to schedule online access, and view usage statistics/reports
• Web monitoring/blocking: Blocks web access individually or by category
• Online time controls: Limits a child’s online time per day, on any or all their devices
• Application time controls: Limits a child’s online time per day, for specific web categories/websites
• Bedtime schedule: Blocks internet access on a set schedule, specific to the day of the week
• Real-time online timeout: Allows a parent to pause online access, putting a child on an “online timeout” to prevent internet access on the child’s devices
• Home alerts: Alerts a parent when a child arrives home or leaves the home
• Usage alerts: Alerts a parent when a child is about to exceed set usage limits across all devices
• Activity reports: Real time activity reports on a child’s online behavior, even when a child browses via incognito mode
• Service provider deployment: Branded end user portal, operational interfaces, and an administrative portal for the service provider to ensure branded user experience, and seamless administration of the solution
The parental control solution is part of the Benu Networks’ Virtual Service Edge (VSE) platform that enables service providers to deliver new, revenue generating cloud-based services and helps to differentiate their services in today’s competitive marketplace. Without requiring changes to existing customer premises equipment, this solution empowers service providers to become cloud providers, and deploy competitive services similar to those offered by over-the-top (OTT) providers. The parental control solution can be deployed in a virtualized instance (i.e.: VMware, OpenStack) or integrated with one of Benu Networks’ high performance compute nodes.
“With all of the various online threats currently facing children, it is imperative that service provides offer their subscribers a comprehensive parental control solution that provides complete protection at anytime and anywhere,” said Mads Lillelund, CEO, Benu Networks. “We are extremely proud that Benu Networks is the first to address this critical need with a complete and robust parental control solution.”
About Benu Networks
Benu Networks’ carrier-class Virtual Service Edge (VSE) software platform enables the rapid creation and delivery of next generation IP services over a converged infrastructure, and empowers service providers to increase revenue, expand market leadership, and meet the dynamic needs of their business, residential and mobile customers. For more information, please visit the Benu Networks’ website: www.benunetworks.com. Follow us on Twitter @benunets.
For more information, please contact:
Director of Marketing
# # #